Trump Denies Iran Talks Are Underway, Contradicting Earlier Back-Channel Claims

trump denies iran talks are underway, contradicting earlier back-channel claims

US President Donald Trump on Tuesday said there are no talks or negotiations currently scheduled with Iran, contradicting earlier reports and claims about back-channel diplomatic contacts between Washington and Tehran.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the US naval blockade of Iran remained in force while claiming that the Strait of Hormuz was “open and operating” and that mines in the waterway had been removed or detonated.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated,” Trump said.

The remarks come as uncertainty grows over the future of diplomatic efforts between Washington and Tehran after the 60-day period linked to their memorandum of understanding ended earlier this week.

Trump contradicts earlier back-channel claims

Trump’s assertion that no talks are taking place appears to contradict recent reports of indirect communication between the two sides.

Regional mediators, including Qatar, Oman and Pakistan, have been involved in efforts to keep channels open between Washington and Tehran. Iranian officials have also acknowledged that messages continue to be exchanged through intermediaries, while stressing that no formal negotiations have resumed.

The conflicting claims highlight the uncertainty surrounding the diplomatic process, with Washington publicly insisting that no talks are scheduled while intermediaries continue efforts to prevent further escalation.

Trump shares ‘New US Territory’ image of Hormuz

Trump also shared an AI-generated image of the Strait of Hormuz labelled “NEW U.S. Territory”, reinforcing his recent comments about American control over the strategic waterway.

The strait, located between Iran and Oman, is one of the world’s most important energy routes, carrying a significant share of global oil and gas shipments.

Iran maintains that the waterway remains effectively closed to shipping until Washington meets its demands under the MoU.

Iran says Hormuz will remain closed

Iranian negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said earlier Tuesday that Tehran would keep the Strait of Hormuz closed until the US fulfils the conditions outlined in the memorandum, according to comments carried by Iranian state media and cited by Reuters.

The demands include an end to the US blockade of Iranian ports, the lifting of oil sanctions, the release of frozen Iranian assets and an end to US military threats and operations against Iran.

The interim ceasefire that followed the signing of the MoU later collapsed amid disagreements over the Strait of Hormuz. Trump declared the agreement “over” on July 7, while Iran subsequently described it as suspended.

source

Leave a Reply