A person armed with a sword injured three people at Brinellskolan school in Fagersta, central Sweden, on Friday, with police taking one person into custody after the attack.
Swedish authorities said the suspect entered the school armed with a sword and wounded several people. The school has around 450 students aged 16 to 20. Police rushed to the scene after receiving an alarm early Friday afternoon and continued searching the school.
Police Raid Suspect’s Home After Sword Attack
Police raided the home of the alleged perpetrator following the attack, while authorities continued their preliminary investigation. The suspect allegedly posted a photo of a sword in the school toilets on TikTok before the attack.
Police spokesman Pelle Vamstad said authorities would look for camera footage that could assist the investigation. Police were also working at the scene with several resources, while the public was urged to respect roadblocks and follow police instructions.
Ambulances, police cars and a police helicopter were seen outside the school in Fagersta, a small city of about 12,000 people. Other schools in the area were also locked down as police searched the site.
Fagersta municipality initially did not specify the number of wounded. Aftonbladet reported that a person wielding a machete had been shot in the leg by police, although that report could not immediately be confirmed.
Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson described the incident as serious and said authorities did not yet know what was behind the attack. Justice Minister Gunnar Strommer said the government was closely monitoring developments and remained in contact with police.
The attack comes after Sweden experienced another major incident at an educational institution in February 2025, when a 35-year-old man killed 10 people at an adult education centre in Orebro. Police said that attack was motivated by the killer’s wish to end his life because of financial and psychological problems.