Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, on Saturday, welcomed the understanding reached between Assam and Meghalaya representatives in Guwahati, expressing confidence that the measures agreed upon would help restore normalcy following the recent violence in Shillong.
Sarma said the meeting followed his conversation with Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma and was attended by senior representatives from both states. The Assam delegation was led by Minister Atul Bora, while Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbha Dhar led the state’s delegation.
Welcoming the outcome, Sarma said the concerns and sentiments of the people of Assam had been acknowledged and addressed during the discussions.
The Assam Chief Minister also welcomed Meghalaya’s decision to constitute a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the incidents in Shillong and the arrests of those allegedly involved in the violence.
Sarma said Meghalaya had also given assurances regarding the safety and unhindered movement of people and vehicles from Assam.
“Assam and Meghalaya share a border, a history, and an enduring bond of sisterhood,” Sarma said, expressing hope that the understanding reached between the two states would help restore normalcy at the earliest.
The developments come amid heightened tensions following incidents of violence in Shillong and restrictions affecting the movement of people and vehicles between the two neighbouring states.
The assurances given by Meghalaya, along with the SIT investigation and arrests, are expected to help ease tensions and prevent further escalation along the inter-state route.
Both governments are now focusing on ensuring safe movement of passengers and vehicles and restoring normal transportation between Assam and Meghalaya.