New Delhi: Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi on Friday reached the DCP office, New Delhi, to register a case along with a student who was injured during the alleged pellet gun firing at the recent protest at Jantar Mantar on July 20. He has been staging a sit-in protest outside the DCP office, pressing the police to register an FIR in the matter.
Notably, the complaint was filed after Gandhi’s intervention, but the police have not yet registered an FIR. New Delhi DCP Sachin Sharma was in continuous conversation with Rahul Gandhi.
According to police sources, the complaint will be forwarded to the Crime Branch, which is investigating all cases registered on July 20. Police said legal action will be taken as per law.
#WATCH | Delhi: Lok Sabha LoP Rahul Gandhi continues to remain at the DCP Office at Parliament Street Police Station.
He is here with Sahil Lochav, who suffered pellet gun injuries during the Jantar Mantar students' protest last month. Rahul Gandhi is insisting that an FIR be… pic.twitter.com/4NJRyJuYlq
— ANI (@ANI) August 21, 2026
The lawyer of Jantar Mantar pellet gun firing victim Sahil Lochav alleged that Delhi Police repeatedly refused to register his complaint despite multiple attempts.
He claimed the complaint was eventually stamped after Rahul Gandhi’s intervention, but an FIR was still not registered despite medical records documenting punctured wounds.
“On 14th August we went to the Police Station in Connaught Place. They said that all Jantar Mantar cases have come to Parliament Street Police Station. We came here. They told us that the place of incident is Connaught Place area, so we should go there. We went back to them. The moment they read the complaint, they gave it back to us and made us sit there for very long. SHO spoke to me personally on phone and he told me that they won’t take up the case and as they have received order from above,” she said,
#WATCH | Delhi: At Parliament Street Police Station, pellet gun shelling victim Sahil Lochav's lawyer says, "On 14th August we went to the Police Station in Connaught Place. They said that all Jantar Mantar cases have come to Parliament Street Police Station. We came here. They… pic.twitter.com/Z6Mm7vGb1F
— ANI (@ANI) August 21, 2026
“At the end of the day, we reached out to DCP Crime Branch and we were told that complaints don’t reach there directly…After the LoP came here, the complaint was only stamped but an FIR is still not being registered. This is a clear offence that has happened. We have an MLC copy of Lady Hardinge which says punctured wounds and blood oozing out,” she added.
However, the Congress MP refused to end the protest until the FIR is registered. Gandhi claimed that there are 200 shells inside the victim’s body and three in his eyes. “Pellet gun was used at Connaught Place on 20th July. AIIMS report clearly says that there are more than 200 shells inside his body and 3 in his eye. He has lost vision in that eye. There are shells near his heart that cannot be touched. Delhi Police say they did not fire pellet guns. So, there is just one question: someone must have done it,” Gandhi said.
#WATCH | Delhi: At Parliament Street Police Station, Lok Sabha LoP Rahul Gandhi says, "Pellet gun was used at Connaught Place on 20th July. AIIMS report clearly says that there are more than 200 shells inside his body and 3 in his eye. He has lost vision in that eye. There are… pic.twitter.com/kH0WGVMuBa
— ANI (@ANI) August 21, 2026
“A crime has indeed happened…We are demanding that an FIR be registered. They told us that they have received order from the top and they cannot file an FIR. We won’t budge from here until an FIR is registered…All we demand is justice for this family…In this country, Amit Shah’s Home Ministry and Delhi Police personnel won’t let justice happen,” he added.
Launching a sharp attack on Amit Shah over the alleged pellet gun firing during the July 20 student protest at Jantar Mantar, Gandhi said that the Union Home Minister is “scared of justice.”
In a post on X, Gandhi demanded an FIR and judicial inquiry into the incident. He vowed action against those found responsible for the alleged police brutality.
![]()
Sources told the Times Now that Gandhi initially went to Mandir Marg police station, but cops refused to register a complaint there. He then went to the DCP office. Until the complaint is registered, he will wait at the DCP office, sources claimed.
As per the sources, Gandhi is seeking information from the DCP on several specific points related to the police action during the July 20 protests. Among the key questions raised are who issued the orders, whether there is sufficient evidence regarding the use of pellet guns, and what action was taken by the police against students on July 20, they added.
![]()
As per the Congress, on August 14, the injured student, Sahil Lochav, with his lawyers went to Delhi Police and gave a written complaint, but the police refused to give Investigating Officer’s number.
“It was again pursued on 17th with email, phone as well. Again, no I/O number given. No acknowledgement was also given. Now, LoP @RahulGandhi ji went along with the victim to insist. The DCP is again not giving the case officer and I/O number. As it’s a cognisable offence, a FIR also has to be registered, but Delhi police not doing so,” the grand old party said in an X post.
The Congress also alleged that Union Home Minister Amit Shah ordered the use of pellet guns during the JUly 20 protest.
“Amit Shah ordered the use of pellet guns on the country’s children, in which Sahil suffered a serious eye injury from a pellet. Sahil and his mother kept going to the police to demand that an FIR be registered, but the police were ignoring it,” the Congress said.
In another X post, the grand old party said that “Amit Shah and his Delhi Police cannot save the culprits” and demanded an FIR into the matter.
अमित शाह और उनकी दिल्ली पुलिस
दोषियों को बचा नहीं सकतीFIR दर्ज करो
साहिल को न्याय दो pic.twitter.com/0Phw8cWdDx— Congress (@INCIndia) August 21, 2026
According to reports, the Rapid Action Force personnel fired five rounds of pellet guns during the Cockroach Janata Party’s (CJP’s) July 20 ‘Sansad Chalo’ protest march to Parliament. Four protesters reportedly suffered pellet gun injuries.